The Golden Visa is a modality of residence visa in Portugal. This category of visa grants authorization for foreigners who prove the realization of certain types of investment to live in Portugal.
- Immediate visa for 5 years, renewed after 1 year and the subsequent 2 years;
- Free travel within the 26 Countries in the Schengen Space;
- Inclusion of the direct family members, without making further investment;
- Minimum stay of an average of 7 days per year in Portugal.
Golden Visa – Type of Investments
- Transfer of capitals of an amount equal or higher than 1 million euros;
- Transmission of capitals of an amount equal or higher than 350.000 euros to be invested in Research and Investigation Activities;
- Transfer of capitals of an amount equal or higher than 250.000 euros to be invested in Artistic Productions;
- Create a Company in Portugal with at least 10 working positions;
- Acquisition of a real estate asset with construction dating back more than 30 years, or located in urban regeneration areas, for refurbishing, for a total value equal to or above 350.000 euros;
- Acquisition of a real estate asset of the minimum amount of 500.000 euros, free of charges and encumbrances. The Investor can buy more than 1 property;
- The Investment Activities can benefit from a discount of 20% of the total amount, in case they are made in Low Density Urban areas (less than 100 habitants per km²).
Residency Authorization Regime for Investment Activity (ARI) Golden Visa
The amendments introduced by Decree-Law No 14/2021 of 12 February, a diploma that amends the Residence Permit for Investment (ARI) regime, also known as Golden Visa, entered into force on 1 January 2022.
Under the changes introduced, regarding real estate investment, the acquisition of real estate will only be eligible for the purpose of obtaining Golden Visa in the event that they are located in the territories of the interior or in the Autonomous Regions of the Azores and Madeira.
- Acquisition of residential real estate: The value remains 500,000€, but the residential property can not be situated on the coast, Lisbon or Porto. The regions of the interior of the continent or buildings in the Archipelagos of Madeira or the Azores in their entirety are eligible. Commercial and tourist properties have no restrictions on location. (Below is a list of regions eligible for Golden Visa). In low intensity areas investment can be reduced by 20%;
- Purchase of properties for rehabilitation, with more than 30 years or located in urban rehabilitation areas continues with a minimum value of 350,000€. The residential property cannot be situated on the coast, Lisbon or Porto. The regions of the interior of the continent or buildings in the Archipelagos of Madeira or the Azores in their entirety are eligible. Commercial and tourist properties have no restrictions on location (Below is a list of regions eligible for Golden Visa). In low intensity areas investment can be reduced by 20%;
- Transfer to investment funds or capital funds of at least €500,000;
- Capital transfer to Portugal must be at least €1,500,000;
- Investment in scientific research activities should be at least €500,000;
- Minimum transfer of €500,000 for the formation of a commercial company, or for investment in a company already incorporated. Creation or maintenance of at least 5 jobs in each case for a minimum period of three years.
list of the Municipalities Covered
- Alentejo Central
Alandroal, Arraiolos, Borba, Estremoz, Évora, Montemor-o-Novo, Mora, Mourão, Portel, Redondo, Reguengos de Monsaraz, Vendas Novas, Viana do Alentejo and Vila Viçosa.
- Alentejo Coast
Alcácer do Sal, Grândola, Odemira and Santiago do Cacém.
Loulé: Alte, Ameixial, Salir e União de freguesias de Querença, Tôr and Benafim.
Silves: São Marcos da Serra.
Tavira: Cachopo and Santa Catarina da Fonte do Bispo
- Upper Minho
Arcos de Valdevez, Melgaço, Monção, Paredes de Coura, Ponte da Barca and Vila Nova de Cerveira.
- Upper Tâmega
Boticas, Chaves, Montalegre, Ribeira da Pena, Valpaços and Vila Pouca de Aguiar.
- Porto Metropolitan Area
Arouca, Ave, Cabeceiras de Basto, Fafe, Mondim de Bastos, Póvoa de Lanhoso and Vieira do Minho.
- Lower Alentejo
Aljustrel, Almodôvar, Alvito, Barrancos, Beja, Castro Verde, Cuba, Ferreira do Alentejo, Mértola, Moura, Ourique, Serpa and Vidigueira.
- Low Border
Castelo Branco, Idanha-a-Nova, Oleiros, Penamacor, Proença-a-Nova and Vila Velha de Ródão.
- Beiras and Serra da Estrela
Almeida, Belmonte, Celorico da Beira, Covilhã, Figueira de Castelo Rodrigo, Fornos de Algodres, Fundão, Gouveia, Guarda, Manteigas, Meda, Pinhel, Sabugal, Seia and Trancoso.
Terras de Bouro and Vila Verde.
Alijó, Armamar, Carrazeda de Ansiães, Freixo de Espada à Cinta, Lamego, Mesão Frio, Moimenta da Beira, Murça, Penedono, Peso da Régua, Sabrosa, Santa Marta de Penaguião, São João da Pesqueira, Sernancelhe, Tabuaço, Tarouca, Torre de Moncorvo, Vila Nova de Foz Côa and Vila Real.
- Lezíria do Tejo
Chamusca e Coruche.
- Medio Tagus
Abrantes, Constância, Ferreira do Zêzere, Mação, Sardoal, Sertã, Vila de Rei and Vila Nova da Barquinha.
- Aveiro Region
Sever do Vouga.
- Coimbra Region
Arganil, Góis, Lousã, Miranda do Corvo, Mortágua, Oliveira do Hospital, Pampilhosa da Serra Penacova, Penela, Soure, Tábua and Vila Nova de Poiares.
- Leiria Region
Alvaiázere, Ansião, Castanheira de Pêra, Figueiró dos Vinhos and Pedrógão Grande.
- Viseu Dão Lafões Region
Aguiar da Beira, Carregal do Sal, Castro Daire, Mangualde, Nelas, Oliveira de Frades, Penalva do Castelo, Santa Comba Dão, São Pedro do Sul, Sátão, Tondela, Vila Nova de Paiva and Vouzela.
- Tâmega and Sousa
Baião, Celorico de Basto, Cinfães and Resende.
- Terras de Trás-os-Montes
Alfandega da Fé, Bragança, Macedo de Cavaleiros, Miranda do Douro, Mirandela, Mogadouro, Vila Flor, Vimioso and Vinhais.